Sunday, April 3, 2016

Sherman Goes Bridleless

Today, Sherman took a huge step in his training.


I rode him bridleless.



I do not know if I have mentioned it on this blog, but I have been training Sherman as well as Ollie. He has different problems- lameness issues occurred with him last year and we hardly rode him. He came from a ranching background, and was overused. When we got him he was extremely heavy on the forehand, and had hardly any hindquarter substance for his build. He was flightly and VERY herd bound. The cowboy that used him was abusive, and he has the scars to prove it. Vet bills, farrier bills, Smartpak's, and a lot of TLC was needed for him to recover, both mentally and physically. He didn't like people, and would rather be alone with a horse or two, then in the company of humans. Now, he has improved drastically, and I have been working with him, taking him through the Fundamentals level of Clinton Anderson. I have to be careful that I do not re-injure his hind limbs, because some CA exercises are laboring. 

Today I hopped in him and something just felt right. I was already riding in a CA halter, so I slipped it off, and asked Sherman to do what I would normally ask him, acting as if I still had the bridle on. 



My mom saw it and was speechless. She wanted to ride him, and so we put the bridle back on him and she mounted. 




My mom cried afterward. 

I got back on with the bridle.....

We all have that "Whoa" face. hahaha!
...then took it back off. 




I know I look bald.... I am not. I promise. 
He walked, trotted, loped, stopped, backed and even flexed from side to side without the bridle. I couldn't be happier with him. He has come a very long way from where he once was, and I am crazy excited to see how he does as we finish Fundamentals and go into Intermediate! 

~Alyssa







2 comments:

  1. That is incredible! I can see that you have brought him a long way. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete

Be please kind and respectful. I love comments, and I would love it if you sent some my way!!!