Thursday, April 7, 2016

Groundwork Part 1....Plastic Bags and Round Pen Work


Today Ollie and I spent nearly the whole afternoon together.

(Ground work part 2 is coming soon!! I decided to break up the groundwork sections and the riding into three posts).

I have been working on plastic bag desensitization with him. Ollie isn't a spooky horse by any means, so I typically do more sensitizing than desensitizing. However,  it is still vital to do some desensitization, so I pulled out the plastic bags yesterday. Today was just his second time with the plastic bags, and he did very well.
Following the plastic bag increases the horses curiosity and confidence. 

Ollie didn't like a bag much in the air. I wasn't just holding it..I was making a flapping noise with it. It is key to remain calm and focused. Pretend as if the bag isn't even attached to the stick. 

He didn't love the bag near his face. No worries!! Just work that spot more. 






he still isn't extremely comfortable with the bag, and that is normal. It is only his second day with the bag. By tomorrow or the day after he should be really good. 



On to the round pen work...

Honestly, Ollie doesn't really need this, but I like to do it to see where his mind is and to evaluate how he is feeling physically. Round penning is a great way to see how the horse reacts to you without the halter on...will he listen?
 I highly suggest doing round pen work. It is a great way to test the horse. 




Asking him to come into me. 



I am backing up while he is coming towards me to increase the draw to want to be with me. 

Will your horse follow you? this is also a big one. It is fun, too!



It is also important that you can ask him to go around you in a small circle at a walk/trot/lope and he will stay with you. 

Let the "rest" time he gets be with you. Doing this will also increase his want to be with you. 

Drawing








  I was very happy with Ollie today. Stay tuned for Rollbacks and Bareback riding!!!

~Alyssa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be please kind and respectful. I love comments, and I would love it if you sent some my way!!!